These crackers should stay crisp for a week or so in an airtight container, but we find they disappear long before then…
650g strong (also known as bakers’ or high grade) flour
200g mixed sesame seeds
20g fennel seeds, roughly chopped
1 tbsp dried thyme
3tsp table salt
360ml cold water
180ml olive oil
1tsp sesame oil
1) Mix all the dry ingredients together then add the rest, knead by hand for 5 minutes to for a smooth dough. You may need to add more flour as you knead, but don’t overdo it - the dough should still be slightly sticky when finished.
2) Cover with clingfilm and chill for 1 hour or more.
3) Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) fan bake. Line two large baking trays with paper.
4) Roll out the dough to the thickness of a sesame seed, using plenty of flour when needed. Slice into long tongues (or any shape you fancy).
5) Place onto the baking trays, brush liberally with olive oil and sprinkle with flaky salt.
6) Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 15-20 minutes until they are an even golden colour. You may need to flip the lavosh half way through cooking to ensure they bake evenly.