2 tbsp olive oil
1.2kg piece beef brisket, trimmed, cut into 4 pieces
75g sliced pancetta, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
5 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 cup dry red wine
3 cups tomato passata
2 cups beef stock
2 sprigs rosemary
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 bay leaves
Fresh pappardelle or your choice of pasta
Crispy sage leaves
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Heat the oil in a large oven-proof heavy based casserole dish over medium heat.
2) Season the brisket, then cook in batches for 6 to 8 minutes until well browned on all sides. Remove from the casserole and set aside.
3) Add the pancetta to the pan and brown quickly, then drain on paper towels.
4) Reduce the heat to low then add the onion, celery and garlic to the casserole. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until softened. Add the red wine and continue cooking until the liquid has reduced by half.
5) Add the passata, beef stock, rosemary, thyme, fennel seeds and bay leaves. Return the brisket and pancetta to the pan. Season to taste, then bring to a simmer.
6) Cover the casserole dish then place in the oven and cook for 3 hours or until the brisket is very tender. Turn the brisket halfway through cooking.
7) Remove the brisket from the sauce and place onto a tray. Shred with two forks then return to the sauce and stir to combine.
8) Serve on pappardelle with crispy sage leaves and shaved parmesan.