This cake will have to be right up there with my favourite cakes to bake and devour. Lemony, moist and creamy with a light toasted Brioche & mascarpone coating…fresh figs and ethereal translucent sliced candied pears make it a gasp and clap your hands moment on sight. This recipe is a substantial 3 layer celebration size, fitting for a party. Happy Birthday, Cloudy Bay!
Originally prepared for Cloudy Bay to celebrate our 21st birthday.
2 cups plain unsweetened yogurt
6 large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups vegetable oil
4 cups caster sugar
Finely grated zest of 6 large lemons
1 ½ cups lemon juice
5 cups self raising flour, sifted.
Burnt Brioche crumb:
2 slices of Brioche bread, toasted well
Glassine lemons & pears:
Small sugar pears, sliced 2mm thick
1 lemon, sliced 2mm thick
2 cups caster sugar
2 cups water
1) In a wide shallow saucepan over medium low heat, place the sugar and water and stir to dissolve.
2) Add the lemon and pear slices and simmer on low heat for around 45 minutes or until the pears & lemons become translucent.
3) Lift out glassine fruit and place on a lined tray to cool. Reserve syrup.
1) Preheat oven to 160°C (320 °F) fan bake.
2) Grease and line the base of three 26cm cake tins.
3) Place all the ingredients except the flour in a large bowl and beat with a wooden spoon to combine. Add the flour and stir until just mixed. Pour the batter evenly into the 3 prepared tins.
4) Bake for 30-40mins until golden and when tested with a skewer it comes out clean.
1) When ready to serve, crumble the brioche toast to fine bread crumbs with your fingers. Scoop out the mascarpone into a bowl and mix with the crumbs to combine.
2) Place one cake on a stand and smear a little brioche cream on the top. Add the next layer and repeat, securing all three layers with skewers and some brioche cream between them.
3) Using a spatula, cover the whole cake in the rest of the toasted brioche cream, smoothing as you go.
4) Place candles in the top, add the fresh figs and lay glassine pears and lemons in between.
5) Drizzle with some of the reserved pear/lemon syrup.